Brentford striker Ivan Toney charged again by the FA for breaking betting rules

Brentford striker Ivan Toney charged AGAIN by the FA for breaking betting rules – with governing body looking into an additional 30 counts after he was previously accused of 232 breaches

  • Ivan Toney has been charged over 30 alleged counts of breaking betting rules
  • It comes in addition to a previous charge by the FA last month over 232 breaches
  • Tony has until January 4 to provide a response to the FA over the charges

Brentford striker Ivan Toney has been hit with new charges over allegedly breaking betting rules.

It was reported last month that Toney had been accused of 232 breaches and that he faced a possible ban until the end of the season at least.

The FA has now confirmed today that they are looking into 30 further alleged breaches and that Toney has until January 4 to provide a response.

Ivan Toney has been charged with an additional 30 counts of breaking betting rules

In a statement they wrote: ‘Ivan Toney has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of the FA’s betting rules.

In addition to the previous charge, it is alleged that the Brentford FC forward breached the FA rule E8 a further 30 times between March 14 2017 and February 18 2019.

‘Evan Toney has until Wednesday, January 4, 2023 to provide a response.

Sportsmail exclusively revealed last month that the FA had been investigating Toney for seven months over historical gambling offences.

It was said that a report triggered by the probe was said to be around 2,800 pages long.

Toney had previously been charged over an alleged 232 breaches of breaking betting rules

Toney had previously been charged over an alleged 232 breaches of breaking betting rules

The FA then revealed that they were investigating Toney over an alleged 232 breaches.

Tony is not thought to have bet against his own team, an offense which could trigger a lifetime ban. However, if he is found to have placed bets on his own side to win, a six-month ban is among the potential punishments.

The number of bets and how much he staked would be taken into account if Toney is found to have broken the rules.

Following Sportsmail’s original story, the 26-year-old confirmed he was ‘assisting the FA with their enquiries’.

The initial alleged breaches stretch from 2017, when Toney was at Newcastle, to 2021 after he joined current side Brentford from Peterborough (who he is pictured for here back in 2018)

The initial alleged breaches stretch from 2017, when Toney was at Newcastle, to 2021 after he joined current side Brentford from Peterborough (who he is pictured for here back in 2018)

He wrote on Twitter: ‘I’m aware of a story about me in a national newspaper today.

‘I have been assisting the Football Association with their enquiries and will not be making any comment until such investigation has reached its conclusion.

‘I am a proud Englishman and it has always been my childhood dream to play for my country at a World Cup finals.’

Toney became a contender for Gareth Southgate’s squad after a blistering start to the season, with 10 goals in 14 league games.

However, Southgate left him out of his squad for Qatar – instead opting to go with Newcastle’s Callum Wilson.

As the FA began the investigation, Toney took to Twitter to release a statement on the investigation

Toney took to Twitter after Sportsmail’s exclusive release of a statement on the FA probe

A six-month ban is a potential punishment for Tony if he were to be found guilty

A six-month ban is a potential punishment for Tony if he were to be found guilty

In a statement on the club’s website, Brentford said they had been informed of the additional charges, adding: “Our private discussions with Ivan and his legal representatives on this matter continue.”

The initial alleged breaches stretch from 2017, when Toney was on Newcastle’s books, to 2021, after he had joined Brentford from Peterborough.

In 2017, Joey Barton was banned for 18 months, reduced to 13, having admitted placing 1,260 bets on matches, including at least five in which he played.

In 2020, Daniel Sturridge was given a four-month ban and fined for providing his brother with inside information on his potential transfer from Liverpool to Sevilla in 2018.

Advertisement

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *