Salford City booked their place in the Papa Johns Trophy quarter-finals with a narrow win at home to Port Vale.
Matt Smith scored the only goal of the game after 10 minutes to set up a trip to Cheltenham in the last eight.
Ammies goalkeeper Jacob Chapman did well to deny Mal Benning, and a minute later, Smith rose highest in the area to head home Ibou Touray’s cross for the winner.
The Valiants went close to an equaliser shortly before half-time when Chapman got down to his right to keep out Ben Garrity’s volley.
After the break, Salford substitute Lorent Tolaj crashed an effort against the post when sent through one-on-one, and five minutes later Smith hit the base of an upright with a close-range header.
Salford then struck the woodwork for the third time in a matter of minutes when Conor McAleny’s long-range effort cannoned back off the bar on the hour.
Benning’s low drive was cleared off the line, and Ellis Harrison struck the bar late on with a close-range strike as Vale looked for a route back, but the hosts held on to progress.
- 24BoltonBooked at 90mins
- 4LoweSubstituted forTolajat 45′minutesBooked at 80mins
- 16GalbraithBooked at 66minsSubstituted forJenkinsat 72′minutes
- 8LundSubstituted forHendryat 72′minutes
- 18McAlenySubstituted forBaileyat 62′minutes
- 5HallSubstituted forHoldenat 61′minutes
- 8GarrityBooked at 54mins
- 10ConlonSubstituted forPettat 61′minutes
- 11BenningSubstituted forMasseyat 78′minutes
- 26ButterworthSubstituted forpoliticalat 61′minutes
- 9WilsonSubstituted forOdubekoat 61′minutes
- Anthony Backhouse